Skip Navigation


The Admissions office is responsible for registering students and maintaining active and permanent records. Coastline complies with the provisions of the Family Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (Buckley Amendment) which gives the student the right to see the official school record and restricts distribution of those records.


All requests for changes to a student's current class program or information on file should be made through the Admissions office (i.e., adds to program, withdrawals from class, name and address changes, etc.).

Military Student Transcripts

Official Transcripts

Official transcripts must be ordered online through Credentials Inc. CCC will no longer accept orders through the mail. Students wanting to order a transcript while on campus will have access to computers for online ordering.

Please note: Zero-unit courses will not appear on transcripts. Please do not order transcripts if you have only taken zero-unit courses at Coastline

How To Order a Transcript

Official CCC transcripts are ordered online through Credentials Inc.

Coastline Community College contracts with Credentials, Inc. to accept transcript orders online via a secure website. Order your transcripts online using TranscriptsPlus, which will facilitate your request. By using this service, you can expedite your transcript order and you’ll receive communication via email or fax regarding the status of your order. If you're in a hurry to receive your transcripts, you can request special handling to guarantee that your request will be processed in two business days. There's also an option to have your request sent via Federal Express. You may choose to have your official CCC transcript mailed to yourself or directly to the educational institution, employer or any other recipient that you choose. You may notice differences in the available options and the required information on the order forms of the Coast Colleges.

Credentials Solutions has been retained as the designated agent for processing and sending official electronic transcripts on behalf of Coastline Community College. The electronic transcript that is produced using this service contains the same information as the printed transcript and can be certified as unaltered by uploading the file to the company's website that is provided during the delivery process. Credentials Solutions has been granted the authority to deliver all such electronic transcript requests on behalf of Coastline Community College and respond to any inquiries regarding transcript transactions.

Among the benefits that you realize from online Transcript Ordering are:

  • Eliminate the need to come to the college to make the request.
  • Eliminate the delay created by submitting a written request by mail.
  • Convenient 24/7 access
  • Provide email or text communication with you while your order is being processed.
  • Ability to order multiple transcripts for multiple recipients(5) in one order.
  • The convenience of paying for your transcript order with your credit card.
  • Option for Electronic Delivery of Transcripts to participating schools and other recipients.

Current Students

You may access this service and order official transcripts through the secure student portal as an option within your MyCCC. By using this secured personal access, you will not be required to sign a consent form releasing your transcript therefore expediting your order.

Former Students

If you are a former student, you may access the online transcript ordering service by clicking on the link below. Your signed consent will be required to fulfill your transcript order. For your convenience, a consent form will be generated for your order that you can return via fax or mail.


Transcript Fees

No charge
The first two requests for transcripts are free of charge. If you're not sure how many transcripts you've requested in the past, you can contact the Student Records Office to confirm at (714) 241-6168.
$5.00 each
A $5.00 fee is charged for regular processing of each transcript. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing your request plus mailing time.
RUSH Fee Additional $5.00
$5.00 For RUSH orders, we will provide a special handling service, which guarantees processing of your request within two business days of receipt for an additional $5.00 per copy ($10.00 total per copy).
$20.00 per recipient
Domestic Federal Express to main 48 states
$23.00 per recipient
Domestic Federal Express to Alaska or Hawaii
$43.00 per recipient
International Federal Express

Transcripts will be mailed to the address per your request.

If you do not receive your transcripts within 30 days, please contact the Admissions & Records Office at (714) 241-6168 or email

Unofficial Transcripts

Unofficial transcripts are accessible via your MyCCC account for current students only. Former students will have to order an official transcript to access grades.


Grade reports are not mailed. Students may access their grades online by logging in to their MyCCC site. Students also have an option of printing their own Coastline unofficial transcript from their MyCCC site. Semester grades are available via MyCCC approximately 10 working days after the end of the semester (excluding holiday periods).


Students performance in courses is indicated by one of 10 grades. Grades carry point value, and which are used in determining the grade point average (GPA), are as follows:

  • A - Excellent - 4 grade points per unit
  • B - Good - 3 grade points per unit
  • C - Satisfactory - 2 grade points per unit
  • D - Passing, less than satisfactory - 1 grade point per unit
  • F - Failing - 0 grade points per unit

To determine your GPA, divide the total number of grade points by the total number of units attempted for the grades A, B, C, D, and F (P and NP are not used in this calculation).

Pass/No Pass classes are not computed into GPA, but successful completion gives additional units of credit.

The following grades are not part of the GPA computation:

  • P - Pass, at least satisfactory - Unit credit granted (See Grading Options)
  • NP - No Pass, less than satisfactory or failing - No units granted (See Grading Options)
  • W - Withdrawal - No units granted
  • I, IB, IC, ID, IF, INP - Incomplete - No units granted
  • IP - In progress - No units granted
  • MW - Military Withdrawal - No units granted/No penalty
  • NG - Non-Graded - No units granted
  • RD - Report Delayed - No units granted

Grade Challenge Petition

The determination of the student's grade by the instructor shall be final in the absence of mistake, fraud, bad faith or incompetence. A student who has been assigned a final grade which he/she believes to be incorrect may file a Grade Challenge Petition form obtained from the Ofiice of Admissions and Records. All grade challenges must be made by the student, in writing, within two years after the end of the semester in which the grade in question was assigned. Grade challenges filed after the two-year deadline will be reviewed for recording errors only to ensure that the student's grade on the instructor's roster is, in fact, the grade that appears on the transcript.

Grading Options

Option Pass/No Pass or graded classes: In these courses, students may elect to receive either a traditional letter grade of "A" through "F" or Pass/No Pass for the course. This choice must be made by the same deadlines as last day to drop without a "W", which is printed on your Student Class Program (Web Schedule Bill) through MyCCC.

Before the First Day of Class:

  • "Pass/No Pass" grading option: Students who enroll in courses designated "graded or pass/ no pass option" may change the grade by logging into MyCCC, clicking on Add/Drop Classes then clicking on the Grade Mode for the class you wish to change the grade option.

    Example Student Schedule
  • On the "Change Class Options" page, click on the drop down box and select the grade option then click on "Submit Changes". Classes without a drop down do not have a grade option or the date has passed for choosing the grade option.

  • Print your Student Class Schedule/Web Schedule Bill to verify the grade option for your classes (Additional Information – GRD OPT).

    Example Schedule Bill

After the class has started:

Students selecting this grading option must submit the Pass/No Pass Request Form to the Admissions and Records Office by the specified deadline for each course. (Please refer to your "Student Class Program(Web Schedule Bill)" in your MyCCC account). Requests can be submitted in person, by mail, or by fax (this information is listed on the form). If mailing, make sure the request is postmarked on or before the deadline date. Once the Pass/No Pass grading option has been requested, it can't be reversed. Therefore, before selecting this option, students should consult with a counselor.

Students must choose the grade option by the specified deadline for each course (see Important Dates under the Admissions tab on the website ).

Once the grade option deadline has passed, the grade mode (Standard Letter or Pass/No Pass) cannot be changed. Before selecting this option, students should consult with a counselor. Generally, it's recommended that students select a letter grade in courses satisfying requirements for majors, general education, or for a high school course deficiency.

In courses where one performance standard determines unit credit, there is no option and only a "Pass" or "No Pass" is given.

NOTE: In classes graded on this basis, students are held to attendance regulations and academic standards expected in the graded courses.

Students are advised to read the following statements before deciding to pursue a course on a graded ("A' through "F") or Pass/No Pass basis.

  • A grade of "Pass" or "No Pass" does not affect a student's grade point average (GPA) at Coastline Community College.
  • "NP", "W", and "I" grades are utilized by Coastline Community College in the determination of academic probation and disqulification. (Please refer to college regulations concerning " Probation/Disqualification ").
  • Courses taken at Coastline Community College to remedy an admissions deficiency for the University of California due to poor or incomplete high school preparation are not acceptable if completed on a "Pass/No Pass" basis.
  • Students required to complete 60 units of course work with a grade point average (GPA) of 2.4 prior to transfer to a University of California Campus, such as Irvine, must complete at least 42 of these units on a standard graded ("A" through "F") basis.
  • Some universities may specify that courses required for a major be completed on a standard grade ("A" through "F") basis.
  • Some universities specify that courses taken to satisfy general education breadth requirements be completed on a standard grade ("A" through "F") basis.

Some institutions limit the number of units completed on a "Pass/No Pass" basis which are accepted toward the bachelor's degree. Students planning to apply to competitive admissions programs, such as the health professions, are usually advised to complete the specified preparation on a graded ("A" through "F") basis.

Verification of Enrollment

NOTE: Third-parties wishing to verify attendance and degrees must contact the National Student Clearinghouse directly at .

Current Students (Student with MyCCC Access)

Enrollment Verifications can be requested 3 weeks after the term begins.

Log into MyCCC. Click on the "Verify Enrollment" link under "Quick Links" You will be redirected to the National Student Clearinghouse website. There is no charge for use of this service!

You will be able to select:

  • Obtain an Enrollment Certificate (Choose "Current Enrollment" or "All Enrollment" before clicking on link. Print Enrollment Verification Certificate.
  • View Enrollment Information on File
  • View Student Loan Deferment Notifications
  • View Proofs of Enrollment

NOTE: Third-parties wishing to verify attendance and degrees must contact the National Student Clearinghouse directly at .

Former Students (Students without MyCCC Access)

There are three ways to request a verification of your enrollment, attendance, and/or GPA at Coastline Community College:

Option 1: Via Internet

The quickest way to obtain a verification is via Enrollment Verify through the National Student Clearinghouse. There is a $2.50 charge per request.

Click Here to Request Enrollment Verification Online

Option 2: Via Mail

You can request your verification by mailing a Student Verification Request Form or write a letter and mail it with the appropriate fees to:

Coastline Community College Verifications/Student Records 11460 Warner Avenue Fountain Valley, CA 92708-2597

You must request a new verification for each new semester thereafter.

Option 3: In Person

You may come in-person to the Enrollment Center to request a verification of enrollment and/or degree. However, we do not offer on demand services. You may opt to pay the special handling fee so that your request will be available for pick up two business days later, or we can mail it once it has been processed. Photo identification is required at the time the request is made.

Verification Fees (For requests submitted in-person or by mail)

No Charge
The first two requests for transcripts and/or verifications of enrollment are free of charge. If you're not sure how many transcripts/verifications you've requested in the past, you can call the Answer Center to confirm.
$5.00 each
A $5.00 processing fee is charged for regular processing of each additional verification. For verification requests submitted by mail or in-person, Please allow 5-10 business days for processing your request plus mailing time.
An additional $5.00
We provide a special handling service for in-person and mail requests, which guarantees processing of your request within two business days of receipt for an additional $5.00 per copy ($10.00 total per copy). If you are mailing your request and chose to pay the special handling charge, please write "RUSH" on the outside of the envelope and allow additional time for mailing.

Subscribe to our Student Newsletter

Monthly updates for all things Coastline!