Skip Navigation


Veterans Services

Our goal is to assist Veterans and dependents in utilizing benefits available to them. Coastline Community College is approved by the Bureau for Private Postsecondary and Vocational Education for the training of veterans seeking benefits under state and federal regulations. Application and certification for benefits are provided by the School Certifying Official in the Admissions and Records Office located at the College Center.

Registration Priority for Veterans

Coastline Community College will offer priority registration to any member or former member of the Armed Forces of the United States , who is a resident of California, and who has received an honorable discharge, a general discharge, or an other than honorable discharge within four academic years after he or she has left state or federal active duty. Priority registration will be granted for two years beginning the first term of enrollment within the Coast Community College District (CCC, GWC, OCC). Once your Veteran’s priority registration exhausts, your registration status will be determined by units completed.

In order to receive priority registration, students must present their DD-214 or Military ID to the School Certifying Official.

Why choose Coastline?

With the increase of Veterans using their GI Bill®, specifically Chapter 33: Post 9/11, schools are just now creating programs to support our service members. Here are just a few reasons Coastline is the school for you:

  • Approved VA School Certifying Officials
  • Priority Registration
  • College credit for your military experience

Admissions Process

  1. Apply for Admission online

    You will receive a letter of acceptance via e-mail. This letter will include information about your MyCCC account, student e-mail address, registration appointment time, and instructions to login to MyCCC.

  2. Select your GI Bill® Educational Benefits Chapter

    To be eligible for Veterans Administration (VA) education benefits, you must fall into a category or "Chapter". View the list of GI Bill® Chapters and web links for full descriptions.

  3. Order Transcripts

    Request official transcripts from all previously attended colleges, universities, and military transcripts be sent to the Coastline Community College Admissions Office.

  4. Take Assessment Tests

    Make an appointment with the Assessment Center to test your English and mathematics abilities. Sign up online or call 714-241-6285.

    If you have successfully completed math and English (with a "C" or better) at another accredited college, you may not need to take the placement tests - your transcripts may be used for course placement in English and math classes and to meet matriculation requirements.

  5. Meet with a CCC Counselor

    Schedule an appointment with a counselor to formulate an education plan. An education plan is required by the VA. Call the Counseling Center at 714-241-6162.

What Will I Need To Bring In?

Documents needed will depend on the benefits 'Chapter' that you are filing for.

CHAPTER 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill®
  • DD 214 Copy Member-4
  • Copy of VA approval letter
CHAPTER 30 - Montgomery GI Bill®
  • DD 214 Copy Member-4
  • Copy of VA approval letter
CHAPTER 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation
  • DD 214 Copy Member-4
  • VA 28-1905
CHAPTER 35 - Dependent of Eligible Veteran
  • Disabled/deceased veteran's information (name, military service number)
  • VA Certification of Eligibility (if available)
CHAPTER 1606 - Selected Reserve
  • DD-2384 Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE)
CHAPTER 1607 - Reserve Educational Assistance
  • DD 214 Copy Member-4

CAL-VET: Students who qualify for CAL-VET benefits should contact the Financial Aid Office. Email:

Education Benefits

Veterans Administration Requirements for Receiving Veterans Education Benefits

  1. In order to claim benefits, a veteran or eligible person must have, as an educational objective, "an (a) Associate in Arts Degree or Associate in Science Degree, (b) Baccalaureate Degree, or (c) Certificate Program." If, after consulting the college catalog or the schedule of classes a person wishing to file for veterans benefits is still unsure of his/her goals or major, arrangements should be made for a counseling appointment at (714) 241-6162.
  2. Students must follow their educational plan in order to insure continuity of benefits, satisfactory progress must be made toward the stated major.
  3. Attendance in enrolled classes is expected at all times.
  4. After each registration, the person receiving veterans benefits must notify the Veterans Technician of any program changes, i.e., complete withdrawal from college, adjustment of units, courses added and dropped, etc.
  5. Those with 24 or more units of college work completed and who wish to apply for benefits must have program approval. Contact the Veterans Technician for proper procedure.
  6. Unit Load to Qualify for GI Bill®:

    • Full-time 12 Units
    • 3/4 time 9-11 Units
    • 1/2 time 6-8 Units

CAL-VET: Students who qualify for CAL-VET benefits should contact the Financial Aid Office. Email:

VA Benefits Chapters

What Am I Eligible For?

A veteran may be eligible for benefits for ten years after the date of separation from active duty provided discharge or release was other than dishonorable, and he/she served at least a hundred and eighty-one (181) continuous days or was discharged or released because of a service-connected disability.

To be eligible for Veterans Administration (VA) education benefits, you must fall into one of the following categories or "Chapters". Visit the web pages below to determine which VA "Chapter" you qualify for.

Forever GI Bill - Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act

Department of Veteran Affairs - Forever GI Bill®

Chapter 33: Post 9/11 GI Bill®

The Post-911 GI Bill® is a new education benefit program for individuals who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001. Post-911 GI Bill® benefits are payable for training pursued on or after August 1, 2009. No payments can be made under this program for training pursued before that date.

Chapter 30: Prior Active Duty - Montgomery GI Bill®

Veterans who entered active duty beginning July 1, 1985 may be eligible provided they:

  • Served at least two years with honorable discharge, and
  • Had $100 per month deducted from their military pay for educational benefits during the first 12 months of active duty.
Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation

The Department of Veterans Affair's Veterans Benefits Administration's Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) service is vested with delivering timely, effective vocational rehabilitation services to veterans with service-connected disabilities.

Chapter 35: Dependent of Eligible Veteran

Dependents' Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.

Chapter 1606 : Selected Reserve

The Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserve program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard.

Chapter 1607: Reserve Educational Assistance

A Department of Defense/VA education benefit program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress.

Veteran's Resource Center

Fountain Valley VRC

Coastline Community College - College Center 11460 Warner Ave. Fountain Valley. CA 92708

1 st Floor

Contact us at

Newport Beach VRC

Coastline Community College - Newport Beach Center 1515 Monrovia Ave. Newport Beach. CA 92663

1 st Floor (RM 122)

Contact us at

Click here for more information about our Veteran's Resource Centers


How much money will I receive from my VA education benefits?

View current payment rates

Do I need to do anything else to get paid after I have completed the paperwork at the college Admissions & Records Office?
  • You must verify your enrollment to the VA via the CCC School Certifying Official, Rachel Cervantes, every semester,
  • You must notify the college School Certifying Official each semester you wish your educational benefits to be continued,
  • You must notify the college School Certifying Official if you add/drop a class, or withdraw from college.
Can I get paid by VA for taking courses at another school at the same time I am taking courses at Coastline Community College?

Yes, if the courses are equivalent to courses needed for your education goal. Contact the college Veterans Technician for details and reporting requirements.

Can my VA education benefit payments be suspended for any reason?

Yes. When a student has failed to maintain prescribed standards of progress, VA must be informed promptly so that benefit payments can be discontinued in accordance with the law. The termination date assigned by the school will be the last day of the term or other evaluation period in which the student's progress became unsatisfactory. Schools that provide a period of academic probation may not continue to certify a veteran or eligible person (who remains in a probationary status) for an indefinite period of time. It is reasonable to expect that an institution will report a termination due to unsatisfactory progress if a student remains on academic probation beyond 2 terms, quarters, or semesters.

Do I have to pay back the VA if I fail a class?

If you fail a class, the college Veterans Office will verify Instructor’s attendance/grade rosters and report any failing grade to the VA and inform the VA the last date the student attended the class or submitted online coursework.

How do I get another DD214 if I lost mine?

View information on replacing a DD214

Can I get college credit for my military service?

Coastline recognizes that U.S. Service members receive intensive training and education instruction unmatched by many others in our society. Coastline will award a maximum of 40 units of credit for military training and experience as recommended by the American Council on Education (ACE). The determined number of units may be posted to the student's transcript upon completion of 12 units at Coastline.

Military transcripts are evaluated to verify credit applicable to a degree. Transcript documentation includes SMART (Sailor/Marine ACE Registry Transcript) AARTS (Army/ACE Registry Transcript System), Coast Guard Institute Transcript, DD 295 and DD 2586.

Military credits may count towards general education, major, areas of emphasis, certificate, and elective credits and are applicable to an associate degree at Coastline.

How can I get questions answered for my specific situation?

The college Admissions & Records Office is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Friday. No appointment is necessary. Come in, or email the Veterans Technician at

Useful Links

CCME Scholarships

The Council of College and Military Educators (CCME) is pleased to offer $1000 scholarships each year to United States Service members and spouses of Service members who are working towards the completion of higher education degrees. The deadline for the scholarship applications is September 1, 2011. For further information on the scholarship criteria, please refer to the CCME Scholarship website.

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs GI Bill® website

Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America

Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America is the nation's first and largest group dedicated to the Troops and Veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and the civilian supporters of those Troops and Veterans.

Student Veterans of America

Student Veterans of America (SVA) is a coalition of student veterans groups from college campuses across the United States. Founded in January of 2008, SVA is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization that works to develop new student groups, coordinate between existing student groups, and advocate on behalf of student veterans at the local, state, and national level.

Additional links:

Orange County Vet Center

  • Phone: 714-776-0161
  • Fax: 714-748-4573

Orange County Vet Center 12453 Lewis St. Suite 101 Garden Grove, CA 92840

"GI Bill®" is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at



Rachel Cervantes
School Certifying Official


Hours below are given in terms of Pacific Standard Time (PST).

Admissions and Counseling
Monday-Thursday 0800-1700
Friday 0800-1200

Subscribe to our Student Newsletter

Monthly updates for all things Coastline!