Skip Navigation

International Students


Coastline's International Student Program (ISP) provides services for international students studying or would like to study on the F-1 student visa. We enroll roughly 70 students coming from different countries around the world.

International students at Coastline College enjoy attending classes at four different campus locations and a full-time staff dedicated to their academic success and personal needs.

While providing immigration advising, academic counseling, support services, and student activities, the ISP offers insight to students on how to succeed, adjust, and make the most of their time in Southern California. The goal of the ISP is to provide educational opportunities for the international students and to promote international understanding on campus and in the community.

Application Deadlines for: Fall 2018 Spring 2019
Out of Country and Change of Status July 13, 2018 December 10, 2018
In-Country Transfer August 17, 2018 * January 11, 2019 *

* pending course availability

Translate this site into Vietnamese

General Information


  • Coastline Community College - College Center 11460 Warner Avenue Fountain Valley, CA 92708

  • Coastline Community College - Le Jao Center 14120 All American Way Westminster, CA 92683

  • Coastline Community College - Garden Grove Center 12901 Euclid Street Garden Grove, CA 92840

  • Coastline Community College - Newport Beach Centerbr 1515 Monrovia Avenue Newport Beach, CA 92663


Fountain Valley/College Center

  • Monday-Thursday, 8am - 5pm
  • Friday, 8am - 12noon

Advisor's Hours:

  • College Center
    • Monday and Wednesday, 8am - 5pm (Unavailable 12pm-1pm)
    • Tuesday and Thursday, 1pm - 5pm
    • Friday, 8am - 12noon
  • Le Jao Center
    • Tuesday and Thursday, 8am - 11:30am



Spring 2014 Enrollment - International Students (Full-Time) 37

Spring 2014 International Enrollments
Country Percentage of international students
Austria 3%
Belarus 3%
China 5%
Indonesia 3%
Japan 3%
Kazakhstan 2%
South Korea 3%
Vietnam 78%

Admission Procedures for International Students

How to Apply to Coastline Community College

Download the international student application .

Complete the application, financial support form, and bank certification. If you have a sponsor make sure your sponsor signs the appropriate documents. Obtain your transcripts and make sure they are translated into English.

Mail your application to the International Office. Coastline does not accept scanned, faxed, or emailed documents. Please mail all original forms to Coastline at 11460 Warner Avenue, Fountain Valley, CA 92708. Make sure you include the $55 USD non-refundable application fee.


Applicants for admission to Coastline Community College must be high school graduates, or equivalent, or 18 years of age or older.

Coastline Community College (CCC) admits international students for the Fall and Spring Semesters. The Fall Semester begins in late August, and the Spring Semester begins in late January. Continuing students have the choice of enrolling in the Summer Term, and if they wish to enroll, should contact the International Student Advisor prior to registering for classes. New students are not accepted for the Summer Term.

Admissions Materials

All admissions materials listed below must be submitted by July 1 (for the Fall Semester), or by December 1 (for the Spring Semester) to ensure acceptance. If a student's application is denied or incomplete, CCC will hold it for one year to facilitate re-application. No application fee will be charged for re-applying.

International Student Application Form

The International Student Application form must be completed and returned with a non-refundable $55.00 U.S. currency (check, money order, or credit card) application processing fee by the deadlines listed above.

Financial Support Information

A financial support form must be completed and signed by the student's sponsor (self, parent or relative) to present evidence that the student has sufficient financial resources to meet all expenses during his/her period of attendance at Coastline.

TOEFL Test/English Proficiency

International students must have sufficient knowledge of English to enable them to benefit from instruction at the college level. Therefore, all applicants from non English-speaking countries must take the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) and score a minimum of 500 or higher on the paper-based test, or 61 or higher on TOEFL iBT. A copy of your most recent score (no more than 2 years old) should be forwarded to CCC (Institutional Code #004086). Coastline Community College also accepts the Pre-first grade level of the STEP-Eiken test in lieu of the TOEFL exam as well as the iTEP score of 4.0.

International students applying from within the U.S. can also demonstrate English proficiency by presenting evidence of completion of English courses at a U.S. college or university, or by obtaining an acceptable score on the Coastline English placement test.

Students who only plan to study English in Coastline's ESL Institute are not required to take the TOEFL test or any other exam. However, students are strongly encouraged to provide TOEFL or equivalent scores for appropriate placement purposes. The English as a Second Language Institute is Coastline's specialized English Program for international students who need to improve their skills in speaking, grammar, comprehension, reading, or writing the English language.


Arrangements should be made to have complete, official transcripts of all high school, college and ESL work sent directly to Coastline Community College International Student Admissions. Transcripts must be officially translated into English. Sealed transcripts can be mailed by the student or sent by the institution attended. Faxed copies and photocopies are not acceptable.

School Transfers within the U.S.

Students transferring from another U.S. college, university or high school must also send an Intent to Transfer form, a copy of their I-94, the visa page in their passport, and their I-20 A-B form. Transferring students must be in good standing and in status at their current campus, and must have a 2.0 ("C") grade point average or better.


When the application and all other necessary documents have been received and evaluated, students will be notified of their acceptance by letter. Coastline will issue accepted students the I-20 Form, normally 60 to 120 days prior to the start of the semester.

There will be an orientation day specifically for international students. Information about orientation, registration, and placement tests will be sent along with the I-20. During the orientation, students will take placement tests, meet the International Students Program staff, and register for classes. Placement tests are administered to determine appropriate Math and ESL or English levels. At the time of registration, students must be prepared to pay registration fees, submit their passport, visa, and I-20 form for verification, and purchase health/medical insurance.

Tuition and Fees

Please download this PDF for an overview of Estimated Expenses for International Students

  • Coastline Community College may charge additional fees for materials used in class and any other fees mandated by the State of California.
  • There are no loans for financial aid available to international students.
  • Scholarship applications are considered by Coastline Community College upon completion of 12 units. Award amounts are modest and cannot be relied upon as any portion of the required sponsorship.
  • Immigration policy does not permit international students to work the first year of attendance.

NOTE: All fees are due at the time of registration.

Admissions Checklist

The following list is designed to help ensure that you have gathered all the documents necessary for admission to Coastline Community College.

  1. Completed International Student Application
  2. Application fee.
  4. 2 passport-size photographs.
  5. Translated high school and ESL records or college transcripts
  6. TOEFL record or equivalency (not required for students starting in ESL)
  7. Copies of passport pages (if available)
  8. Intent to Transfer (for students transferring in to Coastline)

Information for Current International Students

Maintaining F-1 Student Status

All international students who are in F-1 visa status must follow a set of immigration regulations as outlined by the U.S. government in order to maintain their international student status. The following set of rules and regulations is a guide to properly maintaining international student status at Coastline Community College.

We are here to help you! Before you make an academic or immigration decision, get information from us first. The 4 Basics of maintaining your F-1 student status are:

  • Complete a minimum of 12 units in fall and 12 units in spring
  • Make academic degree progress towards your major
  • NO unauthorized employment
  • Report to the International Advisor any changes in your name, address, telephone, major, dependents, and/or graduation date.

Additional responsibilities include:

  • Passport must be valid
  • Keep original immigration documents (passport, visa, I-20) in a safe, secure place.
Full Course of Study

International students must be registered for a full course of study (12 units) during fall and spring semesters.

Note: Registration is not required for summer sessions.

Online Courses: Only 3 units or one online course per semester is applicable to the full-time enrollment total.

Maintaining Valid Immigration Documents
International students must be aware of the expiration date on their I-20. If students cannot complete their degree by the expiration date on their I-20, students must request a program extension before the expiration date on the I-20. Students who do not file a program extension in a timely manner will be considered out of status.
Students should keep their passport valid at all times. If the passport will expire soon, student must renew it through the embassy or consulate of their home country. More details are available here.
Change of Local Address

Students who change their local address must report the change to the International Advisor within 10 days of moving.

By maintaining your F-1 status you are eligible for the following:
  • Travel on the F-1 Visa
  • Program Extension
  • Transfer Eligibility
  • Concurrent Enrollment
  • Employment for F-1

Registering for Your Classes

International students must register in a MINIMUM OF 12 UNITS. 12 units is considered a full-course of study by USCIS.

  • Pay for health insurance at least 3 business days before your registration date and time.
  • Find the list of classes in the class schedule.
  • Due to CA budget cuts, there are fewer classes offered so they will fill up fast. It will be VERY difficult to get the classes you want/need. Be flexible with your schedule and consider many different choices of classes.
  • Check your registration date and time on your MyCCC account .
  • Be sure to register immediately on your registration date at time.
  • Register on your registration date and time through myCCC. Online registration through myCCC is available 24/7!
  • Payment should be made immediately after registering for courses or you will be dropped from your courses! Students are dropped for nonpayment every week. View the non-payment drop schedule .
Credit Card:
Pay online or in person.
Check/Money Order:
Payable to Coastline Community College (write your student ID# on the front of check).
Pay at the Admissions and Records counter, 1st Floor of College Center, Fountain Valley.

Have questions about registration, tuition, fees, etc.? Visit the Admissions and Records registration page!

Health Insurance

As a Coastline Community College international student, you are required to have health insurance coverage from the college through a school-approved insurance company.

When to pay for health insurance:
New students
Pay for health insurance upon arrival or transfer to Coastline College.
Continuing students
Pay for health insurance before your registration date and time.
How to pay for health insurance

Pay online with credit card at

The student health insurance plan is a comprehensive health plan with coverage for medical, counseling, and pharmacy benefits that comply with the Affordable Care Act requirements. (Policy Number 281729)

Aetna Vital Savings – Discount Dental plan. Not insurance, just instant discounts that can be purchased separately from JCB Insurance Solutions.

How to Use Your Insurance

It's a good idea to visit Student Health Services through Memorial Prompt Care which is contracted with Coastline Community College for full-service primary care and urgent care.

If it's an emergency such as severe injury or sickness, go to the nearest Emergency Room or dial 911 from any phone.

If you go to an outside doctor instead of Memorial Prompt Care, you can save money by using a preferred provider (PPO). When you go to the doctor, show them your ID card and pay the $20 co-pay cost.

To find out which doctors are PPO providers visit the Anthem website, then follow the instructions.

24-Hour Nurse Advice Line: 1.800.700.0197

Need to File a Claim? Complete a claim form and mail items within 90 days of accident or injury.

Coastline Community College accepts no responsibility for medical expenses incurred by international students.

Housing and Accommodation

Coastline Community College does not provide on campus housing for students. If you're in need of housing accommodations, below are a list of resources to search for short-term and long-term accommodations, as well as roommates, apartments, and homestay.

Short-term Accommodations:

When you first arrive at Coastline, it may take you a few days to a week to find a roommate or apartment. Homestay can be coordinated before you arrive. The following are affordable short-term accommodations:

Long-term Accommodations:

Once you feel comfortable at Coastline and make friends, you may way to move into an apartment with other students. To save money, most students share a bedroom with a roommate. For example, 4 students will live in a 2-bedroom apartment. You can find homestay, apartment, and roommate information below or in our office.


One of the best ways to improve your English and learn about American customs is to stay with an American family.

Coastline College works in partnership with two homestay programs that you can choose from: Global Student Services, USA, Inc. and StudentLink International . Each program offers great services so be sure to review the applications and decide which program and cost works best for you.


If you are looking for roommates or would like roommates to find you, you can post it on the following search engine:

  • is a search engine where you can search for rooms/apartments for rent.
  • is another great search engine to find roommates in Newport, Westminster, or Garden Grove area.

There are many apartments that serve the large student population at Coastline. Several are familiar renting to international students. These apartments:


Coastline does not have on-campus housing.


Coastline Community College has three learning sites where classes are held. The sites are the Garden Grove Center, Le Jao, Center, and Newport Beach Center. Coastline has an administrative building located in Fountain Valley where you can find the Admissions and Records Office, Bookstore, Financial Aid Office, EOPS Office, Distance Learning Department, and Military Program/Contract Education Department.

If you do not have a car you will need to take public transportation to reach each location.

What to Know About Public Transportation
  • The Orange County Transportation Authority (OCTA) provides extensive bus and rail transit service throughout Orange County.
  • Make sure you know how frequently your street or area is served by the OCTA and the times of schedules stops. This information is available at
  • If you need to take public transportation daily, it is recommended that you get a monthly pass through OCTA to save on transport expenses.
  • You can buy a pass online or through supermarket like Ralphs, Northgate, Vons, or Pavilions. Find an OCTA pass vendor close to you.

Reduced Course Load (RCL)

International students who plan to be enrolled for part-time studies must submit the Reduced Course Load form to the International Advisor in a timely manner. There are only a few exceptions to the full-time enrollment requirement for the Fall and Spring semesters. Each exception has its own criteria, which are outlined below.

The deadline for submitting the Reduced Course Load form is the last day to add/drop for that semester. Students should not drop below full-time enrolment until they have received authorization from the International Advisor. Students who drop below full-time enrollment without the proper authorization will be considered out of status.

Academic Difficulty RCL

Students may request an RCL due to academic difficulty only once per degree level. Academic difficulty could be due to the follow reasons:

  • Difficulty with English language or reading requirements
  • Unfamiliarity with U.S. teaching methods or
  • Improper course placement

Students who receive an academic difficulty RCL must resume a full course of study in the next available semester in order to maintain status.

Medical RCL

A Medical RCL may be authorized due to a temporary medical condition with an appropriate doctor's letter recommending the RCL for medical reasons. Students must receive prior approval from the International Advisor for the medical RCL.

Requirements of Medical RCL:
  • Letter from licensed physician, medical doctor, doctor of osteopathy, or licensed clinical psychologist that recommends student to take less than the minimum units required for full time enrollment
  • Receive prior approval from the International Advisor
  • No more than 12 months (3 semesters) total of Medical RCL is permitted per degree level
  • Must take a minimum of 6 units.

If a doctor believes that a student is unable to meet this minimum unit enrollment, then the student should consider a Medical Leave of Absence.

Final Semester RCL

The International Advisor may authorize a final semester RCL for students who are in their final semester of study and only have a few units remaining to meet academic program requirements. Students may request an RCL due to final semester only once per degree program.


F-1 Visa

International students attending Coastline hold an F-1 student visa, a non-immigrant classification which allows you to enter and remain in the US as long as you are a properly registered full-time student.

What is a Visa?

A non-immigrant US visa is issued as a stamp in your passport by a US embassy or consulate outside the United States. A visa stamp indicates that you are eligible for entry and reentry to the United States in the immigration category indicated (F-1, E-2, H-1B, etc). Most visa stamps are for multiple entries.

Can I get a F-1 visa inside the U.S.?

No, it is not possible to apply for or to renew a visa in the United States. Visas are issued only by a US consul in a US embassy or consulate outside the United States.

What if my F-1 visa expires while I'm in the US?

A visa does not determine how long you can remain in the United States. Therefore, you may stay beyond the expiration date of your visa as long as you are in status as a full-time student. However, when traveling outside the US, it will be necessary to apply for a new visa stamp, through the same process as your initial visa application, at a US embassy or consulate to gain reentry.

Resources on Obtaining an F-1 Student Visa
F-2 Visa Holders

F-2 dependents are able to engage in study at Coastline Community College as long as they are enrolled in less than a full course of study. An F-2 dependent who wants to enroll full-time in a course of academic or vocational study must apply for and obtain approval to change nonimmigrant classification to F-1 before beginning full-time study.

Ten Points to Remember When Applying for a Nonimmigrant Visa

Ties to Your Home Country

Under U.S. law, all applicants for nonimmigrant visas, such as exchange visitor visas, are viewed as intending immigrants until they can convince the consular officer that they are not. You must therefore be able to show that you have reasons for returning to your home country that are stronger than those for remaining in the United States. "Ties" to your home country are the things that bind you to your hometown, homeland, or current place of residence: job, family, financial prospects that you own or will inherit, investments, etc. The interviewing officer may ask about your specific intentions or promise of future employment, family or other relationships, educational objectives, grades, long-range plans and career prospects in your home country. Each person's situation is different, of course, and there is no magic explanation or single document, certificate, or letter that can guarantee visa issuance. If you overstayed your authorized stay in the U.S. previously, be prepared to explain what happened clearly and concisely, with documentation if available.


Anticipate that the interview will be conducted in English and not in your native language. One suggestion is to practice English conversation with a native speaker before the interview, but do not prepare speeches!

Speak for Yourself

Do not bring parents or family members with you to the interview. The consular officer wants to interview you, not your family. A negative impression is created if you are not prepared to speak on your own behalf.

Know the Program and How It Fits Your Career Plans

If you are not able to articulate the reasons you will participate in a particular exchange visitor program in the United States, you may not succeed in convincing the consular officer that you are indeed planning to come temporarily, rather than to immigrate. You should also be able to explain how research or teaching in the U.S. relates to your current or future professional career when you return home.

Be Brief

Because of the volume of applications received, all consular officers are under considerable time pressure to conduct a quick and efficient interview. They must make a decision, for the most part, on the impressions they form during the first minute of the interview. Consequently, what you say first and the initial impression you create are critical to your success. Keep your answers to the officer's questions short and to the point.

Additional Documentation

It should be immediately clear to the consular officer what written documents you are presenting and what they signify. Lengthy written explanations cannot be quickly read or evaluated. Remember that you will have 2-3 minutes of interview time, if you are lucky.

Not All Countries Are Equal

Applicants from countries suffering economic problems or from countries where many students and other individuals have remained in the U.S. as immigrants will have more difficulty getting visas. Statistically, applicants from those countries are more likely to be intending immigrants. They are also more likely to be asked about job opportunities at home after completing their exchange visitor program in the U.S.


Your main purpose in coming to the United States should be for participation in a temporary teaching or research position, not for the chance to establish a career in the U.S. While many scholars hold regular employment positions during their exchange visitor programs, appointment to such positions must be temporary in nature. You must be able to clearly articulate your plan to return home at the end of the program.

Dependents Remaining at Home

If your spouse and children are remaining behind in your country, be prepared to address how they will support themselves in your absence. This can be an especially tricky area if you are the primary source of income for your family. If the consular officer gains the impression that your family will need you to remit money from the United States in order to support them, your visa application will almost certainly be denied. If your family does decide to join you at a later time, it is helpful to have them apply at the same post where you applied for your visa.

Maintain a Positive Attitude

Do not engage the consular officer in an argument. If you are denied a visa, ask the officer for a list of documents he or she would suggest you bring in order to overcome the refusal, and try to get the reason you were denied in writing.

Credits: Gerald A. Wunsch, Esq., 1997, former member of the NAFSA Consular Issues Working Group, and a former U.S. Consular Officer in Mexico, Suriname, and the Netherlands; Martha Wailes, Indiana University, and the U.S. Department of State.

Note Regarding Potential Visa Issuance Delays

All applicants for a U.S. visa are subject to security checks before a visa can be issued. Visa delays for some applicants can range from weeks to several months. A visa will not be issued until the application clears all security checks. In addition, For F and J visa applicants, the Department of State must be able to verify SEVIS information in its system, which does not contain "real-time" SEVIS information. Rather, SEVIS information must be uploaded periodically from a separate immigration SEVIS system used by schools.

Additional Resources

Individuals applying for nonimmigrant visas to the U.S. may also benefit by visiting the Travel to US for visa information.


Sample I-20

SEVIS is an online database that houses a record for each F-1 status student.

  • Creates your SEVIS I-20 with a unique SEVIS ID number
  • Reports changes in student records to verify status
  • Authorizes student employment
  • Authorizes reduced course loads
  • Transfers student record to another institution

For everything you want to know about your F-1 status, go to SEVP Student.

Immigration Status

How is my Immigration Status different from my Visa?

Your visa indicates that you are eligible to enter the US in a specific immigration status. A US border official will review your eligibility and authorize your requested immigration status by issuing the Form I-94 to show that you have been granted permission to be in the U.S. The I-94 is indicates your arrival/departure document and indicates your immigration status and the length of time you may remain inside the United States.

F visa holders will see the notation "D/S" on their form. D/S stands for "duration of status" and refers back to the expiration date on your I-20 immigration document.

Leave of Absence

F-1 international students who wish to take a semester off during the academic year (fall and spring semesters) and not enroll in courses must receive authorization for Leave of Absence (LOA) from the International Advisor.

Students considering a LOA must review these requirements:

  • Student must be in good academic standing when requesting an LOA
  • Student must be outside the U.S. during the LOA

It is the responsibility of the students to meet with the International Advisor and receive written approval. Students have 15 days from the date the International Advisor approves the LOA to depart from the U.S.

Make sure you have a Travel Signature on your I-20 that is not more than 9 months old when you plan to return to the U.S.

Medical Leave of Absence

F-1 students are eligible to take an LOA due to medical reasons. Students have the option to return to their home country or remain in the U.S. to receive medical treatment.

Students who wish to remain in the U.S. must obtain a doctor's letter recommending the LOA for medical reasons. Students who remain in the U.S. without obtaining advance approval for medical LOA from the International Advisor will be considered out of status.

For F-1 students, Medical LOA must be renewed each semester.

Requirements and Limitations of Medical LOA:
  • Must have a letter from a licensed medical doctor, doctor of osteopathy, or licensed clinical psychologist recommending leave for a specific semester.
  • Must have PRIOR approval from the International Advisor before withdrawing from courses
  • No more than 12 months total leave are allowed per degree level

Students considering a LOA due to medical reasons must meet with the International Advisor.

Leave of Absence Exceeding 5 Months

Students who will be outside the U.S. for longer than 5 months for a LOA must obtain a new I-20 with a new SEVIS ID number in order to re-enter the U.S. and return. The current I-20 will be invalid after being outside of the U.S. for more than 5 months.

It is the student's responsibility to contact the International Advisor at least two months prior to returning to Coastline Community College to request the new I-20.

Students will need to use the new I-20 to pay the SEVIS fee and apply for a new F-1 visa, even though they may possess an unexpired visa associated with their previous I-20 SEVIS ID number.

Leave of Absence and Off-Campus Work Authorization

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) regulations state that an F-1 international student must be in status for a full academic year (9 months) in order to be eligible for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT).

This regulation is especially important to note for students who are considering a LOA of over 5 months in the final year of studies at Coastline Community College.

Returning to Full-Time Enrollment after a Leave of Absence

All students returning from a LOA must validate their return to the International Advisor by reporting within 21 days of the start of the new semester. Students must meet with the International Advisor.

Students must bring the following documents to the appointment:

  • Stamped I-20
  • A copy of your most recent I-94
  • Copy of F-1 visa and passport

Subscribe to our Student Newsletter

Monthly updates for all things Coastline!