Coastline goes the distance to help you meet your educational goals. At Coastline, you can enroll in college courses that are delivered to your home, worksite or location near your home.
Distance Learning Department Room 318 (3rd Floor) 11460 Warner Avenue Fountain Valley, CA 92708-2597
- Phone: (714) 241-6216
- Fax: (714) 241-6287
- HOURS: Mon-Fri, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. PST
- Email: email@example.com
New to Distance Learning? Start Here!
To get to your Coastline online course, click on the "Canvas Login" tab at the top of the page. For instructions on how to log into Canvas for the first time, go to our Course Portal page.
To learn more about applying for, registering in, and getting started in DL courses, view the following document for The Most Common Questions Asked by New Distance Learning Students.
To find the minimum recommended computer and software requirements for our online courses, view the following Canvas Help Guides:
Also, you can better prepare for distance learning by taking one or both of these courses: Education 107: Introduction to Distance Learning and Education 108: How to Succeed in Distance Learning.
What Is Distance Learning?
Distance Learning combines technology-television, computers, FAX/modems, telephone-with textbooks and printed materials to bring course content, instructor and students together.
With almost 30 years' experience in distance learning, Coastline offers a variety of college-credit course options to meet your educational needs.
The benefits of distance learning include:
- Convenient, flexible options for fulfilling degree requirements.
- Academically proven, well-produced curriculum developed by college faculty, scholars, practitioners and instructional design specialists.
- Opportunity to attain educational/career goals without sacrificing full-time employment or family.
- Technology-enhanced learning experience.
- Opportunities for K-12 teacher credentialing and salary advance credit.
- Programs tailored for highly motivated, committed, goal-oriented learners.
- Accessible learning options for students with disabilities.
- Telecourse/Cable Courses
- Students watch professionally produced video lessons made available through a variety of viewing methods, combined with a required textbook, study guide, and course student handbook outlining the requirements of the course and expectations of the instructor. Coursework is submitted via U.S. mail, FAX, or in person. Students are not required to have online access for these courses; however select online components are made available for flexibility and ease. Exams are completed in person, either onsite or through a pre-approved proctor.
- Independent Study
- Study independently using specially prepared course materials that include reading materials, textbooks, study guides, self-paced assignments and video materials. May also include CD-ROM multimedia materials, Internet access or lab kits. Interact with instructor via phone, FAX or e-mail, watch or listen to pre-recorded review sessions, mail in assignments and quizzes, and take on-site or proctored exams.
- Online Courses
- Take your course online and work according to the schedule defined by the instructor. Using Coastline's Canvas system, students are able to complete most coursework, including exams, directly online. This varies course to course. Some courses will require students to complete exams in person onsite or through a pre-approved proctor.
Earn an A.A. Degree or Certificate 100% via Distance Learning!
Coastline offers over 70 online A.A. degree and certificate programs that you can take fully online. To learn more, go to our Degrees and Certificates webpage and click on the "Online Degrees and Certificates" button.
Distance Learning courses may fulfill transfer requirements. To check on transferability to the California State University and University of California systems, go to www.assist.org. In addition, you can view which distance learning courses meet CSU General Education requirements and Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC for CSU or UC) requirements. For private and out-of-state institutions, students should verify transferability with their desired university. For more transfer information, please visit the Transfer Center web page or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to View Telecourse/Cable Videos
There are several ways to view Coastline's telecourse and cable TV course videos. Most of our videos can be viewed online through each course website in Canvas. In addition, most of the videos can be purchased on DVD from our bookstore or through other sources. Also, you can view all of our programs on Spectrum (formerly Time Warner Cable) if you are a subscriber in our local area. Download the most recent broadcast schedule below.Download the Broadcast Schedule
Finally, we offer several viewing centers in the local area where you can go to see the videos. See the list below.
Viewing, Examination, and
Call location for hours of access.
Coastline Community College - College Center 11460 Warner Avenue Fountain Valley, CA 92708
Phone: (714) 241-6216
Garden Grove Center
Viewing and Examination Center
GGC has a viewing center on the ground floor, in the Information Commons area. Please call the Garden Grove Center for hours and the availability of resources.
Coastline Community College - Garden Grove Center 12901 Euclid Street Garden Grove, CA 92840
Phone: (714) 241-6209 x17306
Viewing and Examination Center
Parking: Students attending classes at the Le-Jao Center on Friday evenings and weekends may park for free in the court parking lot located at All American Way and 13th St. Additional free parking is available, after 5:30 P.M. and on weekends, in the City Hall/Community Services lot at the corner of Westminster Blvd. and All American Way. On weekdays before 5:30 P.M., students will be required to pay $1.00 per hour to park in the lot. Coastline parking permits are not valid in the parking lots used by the Le-Jao Center. Do not park in the lot directly opposite the Center, which is by police permit only.
Coastline Community College - Le-Jao Center 14120 All American Way (formerly Monroe Street) Westminster, CA 92683
Phone: (714) 241-6184
Golden West College Library
Call location for hours of access.
Golden West College - Library 15744 Golden West Street Huntington Beach, CA 92647
Phone: (714) 895-8741
If you would like to receive a free digital (PDF) copy of a Student Handbook for any of our telecourses, cable TV, and/or independent study courses, please email a request to our Distance Learning Department at email@example.com.