Welcome to the Coastline Online Library — Always Open.
Instructional Videos & Tutorials
Frequently Asked Questions
- Does Coastline have a physical Library?
- Coastline's Library is 100% online so we don't have a physical Library. If you are looking for a place to study, you can do that in one of the Student Success Centers. Need to use a textbook? See if one of the Student Success Centers has it by looking at this Textbook Reserve List. Need some Research or Library help? Ask a Librarian (email@example.com or 714.696.1573). The Librarian does have a physical office (College Center 206) or we can meet you at any of the college campuses.
- Does the Library have my textbook?
- The Library doesn't have any physical books because it is 100% online, but the Student Success Center does have some textbook students can use. Watch the video below to see about textbooks at the Student Success Centers and look at this Textbook Reserve list to see if your textbook is one of the ones they have. VIDEO: Does the Library have my textbook? (1:34)
- Library hours?
- The Coastline Library is always open because it is 100% online! If you are trying to contact a Librarian you can view the Ask a Librarian information below. The Library is using a Google Voice number so you can text or call with your quick question (714.696.1573). You can schedule a research session at one of the college centers. View the Tutor Schedule on the Student Success Center webpage to see the hours of the Student Success Centers if you need to use a textbook or a place to study.
- I need research help!
- No problem. The Library can help you with that. You can Ask a Librarian for help or help yourself through the CoastlineLIBRARY YouTube channel, the Library Workshops in Canvas (coming soon), or study guides. A Librarian is a "trained research professional" and can help you with quick questions or in depth research needs. We became Librarians because we like people. How can we help you?
- How can I get copies of magazine articles for a report I'm writing?
- Coastline has subscriptions to a lot of Academic Databases that have just what you need. Access the Academic Databases by clicking Academic Databases and eBooks above. Watch "Which database should I choose?" on the Library YouTube channel to find the best database for your research need. We also recommend taking the Finding Articles Library Workshop in Canvas to show you how to do some advanced searching in the Library Databases. This Video shows you how to enroll in the workshop. It is FREE to Coastline students.
- Is your question not here? Ask a Librarian.
- Ask your question by contacting Librarian Elizabeth Horan at 714.696.1573 (phone / text) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Textbook Help and Textbook Reserve Library
Textbook Reserve Library
Coastline maintains small collections of current textbooks in the Information Commons (Garden Grove Center) and the Student Success Centers at Le Jao and Newport Beach for students to use onsite. Access to the textbooks is available during the Commons and Success Centers’ regular operating hours on a first-come, first-served basis. For more information see below:
- VIDEO: Does the Library have my textbook?
- Textbook Reserve List
Coastline Student Success Centers (for hours view the "Tutoring Schedule")
Call the centers to verify textbook availability and Student Success Center hours.
- Citing Sources Using MLA or APA - information about citing sources with examples of the most common formats in APA and MLA - Coastline Librarian Cheryl Stewart
- MLA and APA Style - Purdue University Online Writing Lab
- Avoiding Plagiarism Library Workshop - COMING SPRING 2017
- Avoiding Plagiarism - Northwestern University
- Citation Help (see above)
Turnitin Video Tutorials:
- VIDEO: Tutorial Students submit a paper to Turnitin and viewing originality report
- VIDEO: Tutorial Faculty creating a Turnitin assignment in Canvas
- VeriCite for Instructors - University of Oregon
- How do I submit a VeriCite assignment as a student?
- How do I view my VeriCite report as a student?
- Evaluating Websites - Kathy Schrock’s The 5 W’s of website evaluation
- Picking a topic - Coastline Librarian Cheryl Stewart
- Understanding Fair-Use and copyright - Coastline Librarian Cheryl Stewart
Libraries: Academic and Public
- The Coastline Library is 100% online and has what you need. View the collection of ACADEMIC DATABASES and EBOOKS on the Library website.
- CalWest - Coastline students with current student ID may use the public collection at member campus libraries at Golden West, Orange Coast, Cypress and Fullerton College.
Local Public Libraries
- Anaheim Public Library
- Buena Park Public Library
- Cerritos Public Library
- Huntington Beach Public Library
- Orange County Public Library
- Newport Beach Public Library
- Santa Ana Public Library
eBook Collections: FREE
(Remember you have access to ebooks, journals, magazines, and newspapers through the Coastline Library ARTICLE DATABASES & EBOOKS if you are a Coastline student or employee.)
- Google Books is a search engine that allows you to browse for books online for electronic viewing, purchase, or to find in a nearby library.
- Open Educational Resources (OER) Textbooks A list of openly licensed textbooks.
- Project Gutenberg is the first and largest single collection of free electronic books
Office 365 for Students
As a student at Coastline Community College you are entitled to a free subscription to Microsoft Office 365 for Students. The benefits of Microsoft Office 365 for Students include the ability to co-edit your schoolwork using Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and OneNote in real time—anywhere, any time, on any device. With 1 TB of OneDrive storage, you can keep all your work online for easy access. As an added benefit, you may install Office 2016 on your personal computer (MAC and Windows) and mobile device (iOS and Android) to work locally or when you are disconnected from the internet. You can install Office on as many as 5 devices.
To sign up for your free Microsoft Office 365 for Students account go to http://office.com/getoffice365. You will be prompted to enter your college-issued email address (e.g. email@example.com). An email will be sent to that address with instructions on how to complete the setup of your subscription.
Please note that for now, the password for this account is not synchronized with your MyCCC or network logon account. Microsoft handles password resets for your Office 365 account when you click on "Can't access your account?" on the Office 365 sign on screen at https://portal.office.com. Microsoft will send an email with a link to reset your password to your @student.cccd.edu email address.
Library Workshops in Canvas - Coming Spring 2017
Ask a LibrarianLibrarian: Elizabeth Horan
Phone / Text: 714.696.1573
Coastline Community College Center
11460 Warner Avenue
Fountain Valley, CA 92708-2529
The mission of the Coastline Community College Online Library is to directly contribute to academic achievement, student success, and lifelong learning; to provide a variety of learning-centered resources and innovative services that meet the needs of its diverse community; to support the achievement of student learning outcomes at the course, program, and institutional levels; and to enhance teaching excellence.