College Professional Development
Our mission is to promote, coordinate, recommend, and support the creation and delivery of professional development and leadership programs that increase the effectiveness of our institution and provide beneficial information and training for faculty, staff and management here at Coastline.Professional Development Institute (PDI) Faculty Success Center (FSC)
lynda.com Learning Lounge
We are pleased to announce that Coastline faculty and staff now have unlimited access to lynda.com through a district-wide license! With this license you can view high-quality instructional videos in the online library and even take short courses with completion certificates available to print. These courses are accessed online and also on a variety of mobile devices. We are confident you will find lynda.com a useful professional development resource.
Login to lynda.com
Using MySites ( mycoast.cccd.edu )
- Log in with your school credentials
- Click on the Employee Tab
- Find the "Other Employee Resources" channel (right column)
- Click lynda.com Training Videos
- You will be redirected to lynda.com site
YES!!! Now that you are logged into the lynda.com website:
- Click on your name on the top right menu bar
- Click on My Profile > Edit to change the image etc.
- Click SAVE
Next, Click on Browse Library
Locate the PlayList Center link (right side of the smaller window)
Begin exploring the prebuilt playlists by subject or theme.
Questions? Contact Cheryl Chapman, lynda.com admin email@example.com
Coastline now offers a variety of professional development workshops online!
Innovative Educators is dedicated to providing superior training focused on critical issues facing students and educators today. Our primary goal is to provide the information, training, and skills necessary to implement positive change on a personal, professional, and institutional level.
100+ On-Demand Professional Development Trainings with Certificates of Completion
Log in and begin learning!! http://www.go2knowledge.org/coastline
Contact Dorothy McCollom for username and password to access the resources.
Instructional Technology Council (ITC) WEBINARS
The Instructional Technology Council is a leader in advancing distance education. ITC's mission is to provide exceptional leadership and professional development in higher education to its network of eLearning practitioners by advocating, collaborating, researching, and sharing exemplary, innovative practices and potential in educational technologies.
ITC tracks federal legislation that will affect distance learning, conducts annual professional development meetings, supports research, and provides a forum for members to share expertise and materials.
Visit the ITC site to view the list of upcoming webinars.
If you would like to participate in a webinar, send your request to Dorothy McCollom ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) so we can register for the webinar and send you the information to view.
Our college community is becoming increasingly aware of the amount of stress our students are experiencing and the negative impact it can have on their health and academic performance. Studies have shown a 20% increase in college stress over the last 5 years, with 44% of students experiencing periods of severe distress.
To address this concern, we are making available a suite of online training simulations that will assist faculty, staff, and students to better identify, support, and refer these students to support services on campus. Through these courses, you will learn how to identify signs of psychological distress and refer students to support services through practiced interaction with virtual students. Coastline Community College highly recommends that you take these courses, which are already in use at hundreds of colleges and universities.
Stressed Students: How You Can Help
Studies have shown a 20% increase in college stress over the last 5 years and while everyone requires some stress to perform their best, too much stress can result in anxiety, depression, and even a weaker immune system. Research has shown that we don't need to expand our office hours to combat these issues -- students just need us to be more observant, effective listeners.
We have adopted an online training simulation that will teach you to how to better identify signs of stress, effectively listen, and refer students to support services on campus through practiced interaction with virtual students. Coastline highly recommends that you take this 45-minute course, which is already in use at hundreds of colleges and universities.
Student Veterans: How You Can Help Create a Supportive Campus
Our college community is becoming increasingly aware of the unique challenges facing student veterans in their difficult transition to civilian life. While the VA has developed some preventative measures over the last several years, we have still seen an increase in suicide and at-risk behavior among veterans.
To address this concern, we have adopted an online training simulation that will help all of us to better support our student veterans. In this 30-minute course, you will learn about common transitional stressors that a student veteran may experience, what resources are available on-campus for student veterans, and how to help a student veteran who's struggling.
LGBTQ Students: How You Can Help Create an Inclusive Campus
LGBTQ students face many challenges transitioning to college life. They are at a higher risk of discrimination as well as psychological distress, including suicidal ideation, than their heterosexual peers. They may feel less willing to participate in classroom discussions, especially if no one is willing to speak out against any harassment or bias. The first step towards developing a safe and inclusive environment is the education of the staff and faculty that they will be looking up to for the next few years of their lives.
We have adopted an online training simulation that will help build a community of respect, inclusion, and support for LGBTQ students. In this 30-minute interactive role-play course, you will learn how to address discriminatory language, talk to a student who chooses to discuss their LGBTQ identity, identify when a student may be distressed, and refer them to support.
To take any of the available courses, follow the instructions below:
- Go to: https://ccc.kognito.com/
- Create a New Account
- Follow the on-screen instructions
- Choose your course and click "LAUNCH"
- Internet access needed - trainings are browser based
- System will notify you if browser is missing necessary plug-ins
- Adobe Flash and/or the Unity Game Engine needed
- Pop-up blockers should be turned off for use of the training
- Simulations will likely not work on an Apple iPad, Android tablet, smartphone, or other mobile device.
- Attached are Kognito Minimum Technical Requirements.
If you experience technical difficulties during regular business hours, please email Tom Boscamp at email@example.com . If you experience any technical difficulties outside of regular business hours, please email firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Demographic Info - When setting up your account, the system will ask you to select your school, role, and department. Many of the departments are not specific to Coastline, so we ask that you choose the department that is closest to your area. Other information requested, such as age and gender, is being collected for the grant that funds this program, but does allow the user to "decline to state".
- Surveys - Each training module will request that you complete a survey prior to the start of the module. It is voluntary and users can click the "Exit Survey" button at the upper right corner of the page. An exit survey is also administered at the end of the module to help measure the effectiveness of the training.
- ITC's eLearning 2017 Conference, "The Beauty of eLearning" February 19-22, 2017
- League of Innovations 19th Annual Innovations Conference March 12-15, 2017
- 2017 4CSD Annual Conference (California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office) March 16 & 17 2017
- The Online Teaching Conference June 19 - 21, 2017