(Formerly "Cooperative Work Experience")
You are invited to participate in a new program that allows you to obtain college credit for the hours you work each day! Turn your on-the-job experience into on-the-record college credit that can quickly lead to a certificate, Associate in Arts degree, or even your Bachelor’s. By choosing to participate in Coastline’s Work-Based Learning program (WBL), you’ll maximize your real-world experience in the following fields:
- Building Codes Technology
- Business Computing
- Computer Information Systems
- Computer Services Technology (IT)
- Digital Media
- Emergency Management
- Law (Paralegal)
- Management and Supervision
- Process Technology
- Real Estate
How many credits can I earn?
If you are currently working in an occupational field five or more hours a week, your on-site experience can be used for WBL credit. The more hours you work, the more credit you can earn. For example:
|If you work:||You can earn:|
|5 hours/week||1 WBL unit|
|10 hours/week||2 WBL units|
|15 hours/week||3 WBL units|
|20 hours/week||4 WBL units|
You can earn up to a total of 16 WBL units towards a degree or certificate!
How does it work?
Participating in Coastline’s WBL program is easy. As long as you’re currently working in a field that closely relates to one of Coastline’s programs, you can qualify. Follow these three easy steps to turn your current job into a Work-Based Learning experience:
Sign up for a class at Coastline Community College that relates to your current position. Our on-site team of talented advisors can help you choose a course.
Talk to your current workplace supervisor to establish one to four learning objectives so you can implement what you’ve learned in the classroom. At the end of the semester, your supervisor will evaluate your progress (you, your Coastline instructor, and your workplace supervisor must all be present for this meeting.)
Complete your Coastline class while working in your current position and get college credit for both!
What if I have questions?
Upon applying to the WBL program, you will be assigned an instructor coordinator who can answer any questions you may have. In addition, when you print your WBL Program Student Handbook, you’ll discover tips on succeeding in the program while learning about your responsibilities, and your employer.
Can I get an internship and earn Work-Based Learning credit?
Yes, contact our work-based office for additional information at (714) 241-6209.
How will this benefit me?
As a student participating in Coastline’s WBL program, you will:
- Improve your job skills and become a prime candidate for career advancement.
- Gain greater supervisor awareness of your career and educational goals.
- Implement new strategies learned through classroom instruction
- Advance towards a certificate or a degree.
How will this benefit my employer?
When an employer encourages participation in Coastline’s WBL program, they’ll:
- Minimize employee turnover through increased job satisfaction.
- Reduce training costs through the use of the WBL program’s resources and services.
- Strengthen employee relations.
- Meet the self-enrichment needs of their employees through individualized performance objectives.
- Allow for industry/education information exchange.
For more information on how you can earn college credits on the job, please contact the Garden Grove Center at 1-714-241-6209.
For general information on Coastline's Career and Technical Education courses, click the following link: Coastline CTE courses.