Assessment Center Location, Hours, and Contact Information
Coastline's Assessment Center is located in Room 412 on the fourth floor of the Coastline College Center.
- Address: 11460 Warner Avenue, Fountain Valley 92708 (Room 412)
Hours of Operation:
- Monday - Thursday: 8:00 - 5:00 p.m.
- Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. (Noon)
- Phone: (714) 241-6285
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Who Should Take the Entry Placement Assessments (English and Math) ?Assessment for entry placement in English and Mathematics is expected of all first-time students, except for those students who have completed required English and mathematics skill courses. All students who plan to enroll in English and/or Mathematics courses are expected to complete the assessment tests. All assessment tests include multiple measures. Students are strongly encouraged to complete the no-cost, assessment tests early in their program since the scores are used for advisory purposes during counseling sessions. Assessment results are available immediately after completing the tests. Assessed students are directed to speak with a counselor or faculty adviser to determine course placements, which are based upon multiple measures that are included on the test. Multiple assessment measures for entry placement decisions may include, but are not limited to, the following factors: assessment test results, goal definition, motivation, academic status, and self-assessment or study skills. For information about the assessment process, call the Assessment Center at (714) 241-6285
SCHEDULE AN EXAM OR PLACEMENT TEST WITH THE ASSESSMENT CENTER
- If you are planning to take both Math and English placement exams on the same day, please schedule two separate appointments one after the other (ex. Math placement at 1pm; English placement at 2pm).
Alternate Mid-Term and Final Appointments - Review what materials are permissible by the Assessment Center and/or Instructor. This information can be found in the course syllabus.
- May Calculators be used? (type allowed)
- May any notes for formula sheets be used?
(i.e 8x11, notecard, one side, or both sides)
- Time limit - When making an appointment, students should be aware of making their exam appointment at an hour that allows them the full amount of time to be used.
POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
- Testing center policies
- Special accommodations
Math Placement Preparation
Coastline uses Accuplacer's Math Assessment Tests. Study resources for math assessment tests are as follows:
English Placement Preparation
Coastline uses Accuplacer's English Assessment. Study resources for English assessment tests are as follows:
- ACCUPLACER Student Resources:
- Sentence skills and structure [Sample Questions]
- Reading comprehension (based on a passage of text)and sentence relationships [Sample Questions]
- Peterson’s Online Academic Skills Course (sponsored by DANTES)
- English and Math Placement Free Test Study APP
Telecourse Viewing Center
Coastline Distance Learning students can now view their telecourses at the Assessment Center. All telecourse DVDs are available to be viewed:
Monday - Thursday 8:00 a.m. - 11:45 a.m. and 12:45-5:00 p.m.;
Friday 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Coastline Distance Learning students can now view their telecourses at the Assessment Center. All telecourse DVDs are available to be viewed:
- Testing results
OTHER METHODS OF ASSESSMENT:
- Early Assessment Program (EAP) – If you completed the Early Assessment Program (EAP) in high school and your scores indicated that you are “prepared” in English and/or math, you may be able to waive the placement test(s) at Coastline Community College. Students may request an EAP review by contacting the Matriculation Department (see below).
- Other college placement results - Have you taken a placement test at another college within the past two years? If yes, you can submit a copy of the placement results to the Matriculation Department (see below).
- Coursework from other colleges - Have you completed a math and/or English course at another college? If yes, you can submit your official/unofficial transcripts to the Matriculation Department for clearance.
ESL Placement (Le Jao Center)
The assessment instrument used for ESL placement is the Compass ACT test (Reading, Grammar, and Listening). It is not a "pass or fail" test. It is used, along with other measures, to help students choose appropriate courses for enrollment.
Telephone: (714) 431 - 3601
Distance Learning Department
Need assistance regarding your distance learning courses? The staff can assist you from logging into the Canvas Course Portal or completing the proctor form.
Telephone: (714) 241 - 6216